Saturday 26 October 2013

Home made muslin cloths


I use non foaming cream cleansers on my face like Una Brennan and Cetaphil; I work the cleanser onto dry skin and wipe off with a warm muslin cloth. I love how refreshing this cleansing method is and I think it's perfect for all skin types, as the method doesn't aggravate the skin. Despite being incredibly soft, they also provide a little bit of gentle exfoliation - perfect for an everyday routine. My only gripe is that they are so expensive for a tiny piece of cotton! Muslin cloths depending on what brand you buy can range from £2 to £4.. that's definitely what I would consider drugstore robbery!

So, a few months ago, I decided to research where I could buy muslin from to make my own. I found that in haberdashery's the quality I encountered were always poor - extremely scratchy. It was only a day later when I realised.. duh! babies use muslin squares! And with the growing market for designer babies and of course babies needing the quality of the softness itself - there were tons of brands that sold 100% organic cotton. I can't remember what brand I chose but it was little French one, that sold organic muslin squares in a pack of three for around £7.00. 


The giant squares of muslin were already sewn into two layers and I cut eight individual facial cloths from each (that equaltes to about 30 pence each for a cloth). Then I just wizzed with an easy straight stitch on the sewing machine and voila!

I now have an abundance of muslin cloths and can easily find and fetch a new one when the used ones are in the laundry basket. The cute little patterns on them, also bring a smile to my face :)

No comments:

Post a Comment